The Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the Winchester City Code require permits for all new construction, additions, alterations/remodeling, demolition, change of uses, and work not specifically exempted by the Code.
Normal repairs and maintenance work are not required to have a permit, such as: painting, dry wall repair, and minor roof repair, replacing cabinets or fixtures.
Permit applications are accepted at our office, by mail, FedEx, UPS, email, or fax.
No fees for building permits are due at submittal.
No expedited plan review is available.
Permits may be issued to the following persons:
- Property owners or their legal agent.
- Contractors with a valid Virginia State Contractors License and valid City of Winchester Business License.
A PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES:
- Installation of wiring and equipment, which operates at less than 50 volts, provided the installation is not located in a noncombustible plenum or penetrating an assembly required to have fire-resistance rating.
- Construction of detached utility sheds not exceeding 256 square feet of building area and 102 inches in wall height AND when accessory to any use group building except Use Group F or H.
- Tents and air-supported structures that cover an area of 900 square feet or less, AND with an occupant load of 50 or less.
- Replacement & re-connection of plumbing and electrical fixtures, and plumbing and electrical appliances including electric water heaters, fans, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, air cleaners and similar mechanical equipment with that of similar capacity in the same location in residential dwellings (not including Use Group R1).
NOTE: Changes to duct systems, plumbing supply, drain, waste and vent piping, electrical circuits, appliance vent systems and gas piping require a permit.
PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR INSTALLATION OR REPLACEMENT OF ALL FUEL FIRED APPLIANCES.
- Ordinary repairs and maintenance to existing structures providing that like materials are used and no structural repairs, modifications or removals are being done.
- Replacement of residential doors or windows with same size and no structural changes, providing there are no fire-ratings involved. Replacement of fire-rated windows or doors will require a permit. Windows or doors in hazardous locations must comply with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
- The repair or replacement of roofing covering material on residential buildings.
- Farm structures, as approved by this office, located on 5 acres or more and utilized for either the storage, handling or production of agricultural, horticultural, or floricultural products or the sheltering, raising or processing of farm animals or farm animal products, which products or animals are normally intended for sale to domestic or foreign markets. This also includes structures used for the maintenance, storage or use of farm equipment, but DOES NOT include any structures used for residential purposes.
- Retaining walls less than 3 ft. above the finished grade and not attached to a structure.
- Installation of cabinets in residential occupancies.
- Interior or exterior painting.
- Installation of parking lots and sidewalks which are not part of an accessible route.
- Patios and non-load bearing slabs not attached to a structure.
- Recreational equipment not regulated by the Virginia Amusement Device Regulation.
- Manufacturing and processing equipment installed after the last electrical disconnect, plumbing shutoff valve, or gas shutoff valve.
- Equipment controlled by a publicly regulated utility service and located on property by established rights.
ALL OTHER ACTIVITES SHALL REQUIRE A PERMIT.
INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR PERMITS:
- Application For Building Permit
- Application For Fire Protection Permit
- Building Fees
- Sign Permit Application
- New Construction - 1 or 2 Family Dwelling
- New Construction - Multi-Family Dwelling
- New Construction - Non-Residential
- Remodeling - Residential
- Remodeling - Non-Residential
- Re-roofing & Re-siding
Basic Design Requirements
- Wind Speed: 90 MPH
- Ground Snow: 35 psf
- Live Roof: 30 psf
- Frost: 24 inches
- Seismic Zone: Chapter 16