Virginia’s Cooling Assistance applications are now being accepted. There are three ways to apply for Cooling Assistance benefits:
- Online through CommonHelp at https://commonhelp.virginia.gov
- By phone at (855) 635-4370
- By contacting their Local Department of Social Services. For Winchester city residents, applications are located in the drop box outside the Winchester Department of Social Services office (24 Baker Street).
The application deadline is August 15.
The Virginia Cooling Assistance program provides financial assistance for the purchase or repair of cooling equipment and/or payment of an electric bill to operate cooling equipment. The maximum benefit is $300 for the cooling season. This year, the program will grant the maximum benefit for all households approved for payment and will be issuing the payment at the time of the case approval.
Eligibility criteria for assistance include:
- Household must contain at least one vulnerable individual who is age 60 or over, is living with a disability, or is under age 6
- Must be resident of the locality in which application is made
- Must have a heating or cooling expense responsibility
- Monthly gross income may not exceed: