There are two options for disposing of fallen leaves in the city.
Option 1: Curbside Vacuum Service
In addition to leaf collection on City property, Public Works will be collecting the community’s leaves curbside according to the guidelines below:
- Rake/blow leaves into the gutter pan on the street, if possible, or at a minimum to your property line.
- For removal by Public Works, place leaves out for collection by the start date indicated on the “No Parking” signs for your route.
- Keep leaf piles less than 2-3 feet in height.
- Keep leaves away from ditches, pipes, and culverts.
- Do not put materials such as DIRT, ROCKS, METAL, and BRANCHES in the piles; these items will prevent crews from collecting your leaves, as they can damage the vacuum.
Public Works utilizes a collection schedule that divides the city into seven areas beginning with the area that is anticipated to drop leaves first and heaviest. This year, the curbside leaf collection vacuum service will begin in Area 2 followed by Areas 3 through 7 in order. Area 1 will be collected last. Leaf collection is a process which can last up to three months. Public Works will get to every street at least twice during that time in above-mentioned order.
Find your area #:
Option 2: "Bag-n-Go"
You do not have to use the vacuum service to get rid of your leaves. Bagged leaves can be placed at the curb in biodegradable lawn and leaf bags on your normal yard waste collection days on Wednesdays. These types of bags can be found at Home Improvement/Lawn & Garden stores. We request biodegradable bags because they are environmentally friendly and can be recycled, right along with leaves.
For this option, there is no limit to the number of bags that will be collected curbside.
NOTE: We are currently out of compost but will have more after the fall leaf collection season. Check back this winter (2017-2018) for availability.
A majority of the leaves collected are composted for use around the city, but mainly the City donates it for residential use. The compost is free and can be picked up at City Yards between 7:30 am and 3:30 pm, Monday-Friday. For assistance with loading, please arrive at either 7:30 am or 3:00 pm. Please call ahead to let staff know when you will be arriving.
If you have any further questions, please contact us at (540) 667-1815 ext. 1414.