To register to vote in Virginia, you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be 18 years of age by the next general election
- Be a resident of Virginia
- Have had your rights restored if you have ever been convicted of a felony
- Have had capacity restored if you have ever been declared mentally incapacitated by a Circuit Court
When can I register to vote?
You may register to vote year-round except during the 21 days prior to a general or primary election.
How do I register to vote?
8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
Monday - Friday (excluding holidays) at:
Winchester Voter Registration Office
107-A N East Lane
Winchester, Virginia 22601
Phone: (540) 545-7910
Pick up a Virginia Voter Registration Application at the following sites:
- Handley Regional Library - Corner of Piccadilly & Braddock Sts
- U.S. Post Office - 340 N. Pleasant Valley Road
- U.S. Post Office - 132 N. Loudoun Street (Mall)
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) - 4050 Valley Pike
- City of Winchester, Dept of Social Services - 24 Baker Street
- Military Recruitment Offices - 2220 Wilson Blvd
- Social Security Office - 12 Ricketts Drive
- Rouss City Hall, Main Lobby - 15 North Cameron Street
Download the Virginia Voter Registration Application. Print, complete and sign the application, then mail it to us. This form may NOT be faxed.
Mail the completed application to:
City of Winchester
107-A N East Lane
Winchester, VA 22601
PLEASE NOTE: Virginia law requires that those who register by mail, rather than in person, must vote in person the first time they vote. Exempt from this requirement are military service members and dependents, overseas citizens, full-time students, and disabled persons.
Report Change of Name or Address
To remain a qualified registered voter, the law requires you to notify your local voter registration office of any change in name or address. This must be done before the registration books close 21 days prior to each election. You can submit your notice of change of name or address by mail or fax (540-545-7925). In either case, the notice must include your signature to be valid. Notice cannot be made by telephone or e-mail.
After your change is processed, you will be mailed a new Voter Registration Card. If a new card does not arrive within a few weeks, please call us at (540) 545-7910, to confirm that your notice was received.
The following information is required to register to vote:
- Full legal name (including middle or maiden name)
- Home address
- Birth date
- Social security number
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- If convicted of a felony, voting rights must have been restored and the date of restoration must be provided on the Voter Registration Application
- If judged incapacitated by a court, voting rights must have been restored and the date of restoration must be provided on the Voter Registration Application
- Complete address of current registration, if any