The Inspections and Code Enforcement Department utilizes a wide array of applicable codes and ordinances to enforce health and safety standards. Through the administration of these adopted codes, the City can further achieve its goals of sustainability and improving overall quality of life for Winchester residents and businesses.
The services provided by the department include:
- Building permit application review and approval
- Building inspections for permitted projects
- Codes compliance
- Spot blight abatement plan development
- Rental housing inspections
- Housing Choice Voucher Program inspections
- Vacant building registry
- Nuisance codes enforcement
- Issuance of certificates of occupancy for new construction and change of use
- Sign permit application review and approval
The City of Winchester's Building Code, like all jurisdictions in the Commonwealth of Virginia, is the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC).
May is Build Safety Month
All communities need building codes to protect their citizens from disasters like fires, weather-related events and structural collapse. Building codes are society's best way of protecting homes, offices, schools, manufacturing facilities, stores and entertainment venues. Code officials work day in and day out to keep the public safe.
Rouss City Hall, 3rd Floor
15 North Cameron Street
Winchester, VA 22601
Fax (540) 722-3618