The City of Winchester public safety departments, various supporting agencies, and Winchester Public Schools will hold a full-scale emergency exercise on Saturday, October 1, 2022. The training exercise will be held in and around John Handley High School from approximately 8 am-12 pm.
This simulated scenario will focus on an emergency response to an active threat inside the school. The goal is to assess the readiness of first responders and school staff to facilitate a coordinated and timely response in the event of a future threat.
Please be aware of these potential public disruptions:
- Increase in traffic around John Handley High School, Garland R. Quarles Elementary School, and John Kerr Elementary School
- Road closures (access will be allowed for residents in the affected areas):
- Jefferson Street (Valley Avenue to Tennyson Avenue)
- Handley Boulevard (Stewart Street to Handley Avenue)
- Handley Avenue (Miller Street to Jefferson Street)
- Handley Avenue (Handley Blvd to Briarmont Drive)
The exercise is closed to the public.