The Winchester Department of Social Services is seeking social workers and interns (Child Welfare Stipends also available) to join our team. But we have to warn you...when you work here, it's more than just a job. Our social workers and interns have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others. To bravely and proudly do what's needed to keep children, seniors, individuals, and families safe. To be a part of a team that supports each other through the highs and the lows and has a whole lot of fun in between.
Family Services Specialists at Winchester Department of Social Services work in three main program areas:
- Protect children and strengthen families
- Protect adults who are elderly or have disabilities and support adults' right to self-determination
- Provide and manage community-based services and supports to prevent abuse, neglect, and exploitation of children and youth
- Provide and manage community-based services and supports to the elderly and adults with disabilities to maintain their dignity and independence as much as possible
What's your passion?
If you have a passion for public service and helping others, we can help bring it to light.
Why Winchester, VA?
The City of Winchester is a beautiful, friendly city at the top of Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. Only 9.3 square miles and nearly 29,000 residents, Winchester doesn't feel like a small town due to its many big city amenities. The unique and vibrant downtown offers year-round events and a charming pedestrian mall perfect for taking a stroll, dining and shopping. For the outdoor enthusiasts, our public parks system offers 270 acres of green space and recreational amenities. Winchester is also a popular tourist destination, home of Shenandoah University and boasts an award-winning regional hospital. The city has four elementary schools, one middle school and one of the most beautiful high schools in the country. Find everything you're looking for in a hometown in historic Winchester, Virginia.
Why Winchester DSS?
Not only does the Winchester Department of Social Services have an amazing team dedicated to serving our community and their fellow co-workers, but we also offer a long list of programs, benefits and technology to assist you while you help others. Check out the video and list below for a sampling of what the Winchester Department of Social Services has to offer.
- Clear onboarding process with extensive classroom and on the job training
- Competitive salary and benefits (FREE medical/dental/vision insurance for employee-only coverage), including Virginia Retirement System contributions, paid time off and more
- Robust career development plan and cross-training opportunities
- Mentoring program: One-on-one support from assigned mentor in addition to direct supervisor
- Teamwork and continuous learning are not just buzz words (you are not in this alone)
- Day one access to OASIS
- Fleet of agency vehicles to use and paid parking for personal vehicle
- Technology provided: Laptop with VPN, iPad with COMPASS, cell phone, dictation service
- Opportunity to work from home one day per week
- Strong community System of Care (SOC), Multidisciplinary Team and partnership with the Winchester Police Department, Winchester Public Schools, Court Services Unit and may others
- Supportive City government and experienced WDSS leadership team
Deputy Director of Family Services