The mission of the City of Winchester Community Risk Reduction Division is to prevent injury, loss of life, damage, or loss of property due to fire or related health and safety hazards by proactively identifying and correcting conditions that contributes to the cause and spread of fire or damage to the environment.
The Fire Marshal’s Office is responsible for enforcing the Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code as well as applicable sections within the Code of Winchester. Through a comprehensive combination of code enforcement and education, fire inspection personnel work with property owners and occupants to eliminate fire hazards that are found in commercial properties and other public buildings. They also issue permits for activities such as public fireworks displays, explosive use and storage and explosives transportation as well as mobile food preparation vehicles and all commercial cooking facilities. With the help from the operations division, the Fire and Rescue Department conduct an average of 1200 inspections a year.
Investigators assigned to the Fire Marshal’s Office are responsible for investigating all fires, explosions, explosives, and threats to bomb and burn. They may also be called to investigate and prosecute other related crimes committed in conjunction with one of the above incidents to include environmental issues. All uniformed personnel assigned to the Fire Marshal’s Office are sworn law enforcement officers and work closely with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.
Community Outreach Programs
Winchester Fire and Rescue’s public education offers a variety of community education opportunities designed to help our citizens stay safe. Please call the Fire and Rescue Department administrative office at 540-662-2298 at least two weeks in advance for more information and to schedule a community outreach event.
Click here for more information about the below community outreach programs.
- Child safety seat installation
- Fire station tour
- Fire prevention month school / pre-school visit
- Fire extinguisher training
- Campus fire safety training
- Civic organization fire safety training
- Smoke Alarm Program
- Juvenile Fire Setter Program
- Remembering When and Elder Care
- Community Connect
Community Connect (Video)
Car Seat Info Session (Video)
Child Safety Seat Recall List
Click the button below to view the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Child Seat Recall List.
Working Smoke Detectors Can Save Your Life (Video)
Can You Burn It? Quiz
Click the graphic below to take the quiz.
Fire Code Enforcement
Click here to view any current blasting projects and the schedule.
Code Compliance Guidelines
- CCG-001 Controlled Open Burning (Permit and fee required)
- CCG-002 Panic and Fire Exit Hardware
- CCG-003 Permissible Fireworks
- CCG-004 Vendor/Exhibitor Guidelines
- CCG-005 Propane Cylinder Exchange Stations
- CCG-006 Welding and Other Hot Work
- CCG-007 Fireworks Display/Pyrotechnics/Special Effects (Permit and fee required)
- CCG-008 Proximate Audience Pyrotechnics (Permit and fee required)
- CCG-009 Recreational Fires
- CCG-010 Bonfires (Permit and fee required)
- CCG-011 Fire Art Performances (Permit)
- CCG-013 Mobile Food Preparation Vehicles (Permit)
- CCG-014 Portable Outdoor Gas-Fired Heaters
- CCG-015 Underground Fire Line Installation Guidelines
Fire Prevention Code Permit Applications
|Fire Art Performances||Download|
|Fire Protection Permit/Plan Review||Download|
|Fireworks Aerial Display||Download|
|Indoor Pyrotechnic Special Effects||Download|
|Mobile Food Preparation Vehicle||Download|
|Retail Sale Permissible Fireworks||Download|
|Code of Virginia||Website|
|Dept. of Housing & Community Development||Website|
|International Code Council||Website|
|National Fire Protection Association||Website|
|Winchester City Code||Website|
|Virginia Fire Marshal's Office||Website|
|Virginia Fire Prevention Association||Website|
Deputy Chief / Fire Marshal Community Risk Reduction
Winchester Fire and Rescue
21 S. Kent Street, Suite 301
Winchester, VA 22601
Fax: (540) 542-1318
Deputy Fire Marshal / Lieutenant of Community Risk Reduction