Public Meeting and Business Procedures
All meetings of Winchester’s public bodies and any committee or sub-committee appointed to advise are open to the public. Examples of a public body are City Council or any group of government representatives (not staff groups) who gather to discuss public business such as the Planning Commission, Parks & Recreation Advisory Board or Economic Development Authority.
Ordinance & Resolution Approval Process
The most commonly used tools by local government for the transaction of public business include Resolutions and Ordinances. The approval process for each tool is different since an Ordinance sets the law and a Resolution expresses the will and desires of the public body. Click the buttons below for details.
Boards & Commissions
Members of the City’s boards, commissions and authorities are appointed and/or recommended by City Council and advise Council or assist with the decision-making process.
Member Appointment General Process:
- Resident submits completed application
- Interviews are conducted on the first Tuesday of each month after 4:00 pm
- City Council discusses applicants in Executive Session at regular Council meeting on the second Tuesday
- Potential appointment announcement made at Work Session on fourth Tuesday
- Council will vote to make the official appointment at the following regular Council meeting
- Staff will contact the applicant following official vote with further details
Council-Manager Form of Government
The City of Winchester is organized under the Council-Manager form of government. The governing body, the Common Council, is elected by voters under a ward system defined in Section Four of the Winchester City Charter. The Mayor is elected at-large. The City Manager is hired by the Council to manage the day-to-day operations of the local government.