The Winchester Green Circle project, when completed, will provide safe facilities and accommodations for both bicyclists and pedestrians, to access major destinations in the city.
The circle connects areas of historic, recreational, educational and natural interest. Some of those attractions include Glen Burnie Historic House & Gardens/Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Jim Barnett Park, Shenandoah University, Old Town Winchester, and the Abrams Creek Wetlands Preserve.
Where possible the routes follow local streams emphasizing the restoration, protection and interpretation of natural resources and urban green spaces.
Click to enlarge/download PDF.
Etiquette for Trail Users & Safety Regulations
- Stay on the trail
- Never litter and pick up after your dog
- Tread gently around grassy, wetlands, or garden areas
- On park trails, report downed trees or washed-out bridges to Winchester Parks and Recreation (540-662-4946 or email)
- Share the trail
- Approach and pass other trail users with care – yield to all other trail users
- When approaching from behind, announce yourself
- Reduce speed in order to pass safely
- Approach blind curves with caution – assume someone is coming in the other direction
- Be a positive reflection of the local cycling community
- Stay to the right of the trail – pass on the left
- Pass on the left of others and announce your intention to pass (slow down if needed to pass safely)
- When hiking/jogging with a dog, obey posted lease regulations. Other trail users may be frightened by your dog and be unsure how to pass safely.
City Code Provision
While traveling on the Loudoun Street Mall in Old Town Winchester, cyclists must walk their bike instead of ride as stated in the Winchester City Code. Skates and skateboard riding is also prohibited on the Loudoun Street Mall. Thank you for your cooperation.
Activities on the Trail
Audio & Interpretive Walking Tours
Take a self-guided audio tour of the Abrams Creek Wetlands Preserve using your smartphone and discover what makes the area so unique and special.
Use the interpretive signage along the Abrams Creek Wetlands Preserve section of the trail to assist with seasonal migratory bird watching and environmental education.
Abrams Creek Wetlands Preserve Nature Walks
The focus of these guided nature walks, held in the spring and fall, will be on birds, flowers, trees, and signs of the season. For more information, check the Winchester Parks & Recreation website or contact the Rec Center customer service at 540-662-4946.
Existing sections of the Green Circle Trail are maintained by:
Winchester Parks and Recreation
1001 East Cork Street
Winchester, VA 22601
Future sections of the Green Circle Trail are managed by:
City of Winchester Public Services Department
15 North Cameron Street
Winchester, VA 22601
Support the Green Circle Trail
You can support the Green Circle by donating to the Winchester Parks Foundation. All funds go directly to the project or program selected by the donor (make sure to designate the Green Circle Trail on your donation).
Winchester Parks Foundation
P.O. Box 3012
Winchester, VA 22604