In August, the City submitted a $1 million HUD Section 108 Loan application for a sidewalk improvements in qualifying areas of the city. On Tuesday, September 25, 2018, HUD announced publicly that the City's application was approved. The City has more paperwork to complete and Council has to formally adopt an ordinance accepting the loan before the funding can be used.
In order to qualify, the City must use the funding in neighborhoods designated as low to moderate income level by census data. With $1 million in funds provided through the Section 108 Loan, the City will improve more than 11,000 linear feet (approximately 2.1 miles) in dangerous and dilapidated sidewalks in Winchester's north end neighborhood. The streets where sidewalks will be replaced include:
- Kinzel from Allen to Christopher
- Christopher from Woodstock to Grove
- West from National to Woodstock
- Darview from West Street to East Street
- South Street from West Street to East Street
- Battle from Green to Berryville Avenue