The Planning and Zoning staff assist City Council, appointed boards and commissions, and the citizens of Winchester anticipate the future needs and desires of the community and ensures that physical development within the community is consistent with that vision.
Click2Gov Online Services
Enables citizens and contractors to complete the most common steps in the building permit process online, including scheduling inspections and viewing inspections results.
Enables citizens and inspectors to perform case inquires and view case-related data online, including the case status and next course of action related to a case. Citizens can also pay fines and fees online.
Enables citizens and contractors to check the status of planning and engineering project information online (site plans, rezoning applications, etc.).
- Long-range Planning - Undertake Comprehensive Planning and long-range visioning for the physical development of the City. Establish goals and objectives; inventory and analyze existing demographic, land use, transportation, and community facility patterns; project future trends; develop scenarios for future development; assist Council and Planning Commission with selecting alternatives and implementation of the Plan.
- Current Planning - Process Site Plans, Conditional Use Permits, Rezonings, Subdivisions, Zoning Ordinance amendments, Subdivision Ordinance amendments, Street and Alley Vacations and Conveyances, Historic District reviews.
- Transportation Planning - Assist Council with establishing and prioritizing road and other transportation projects; coordinate transportation projects with Frederick County, VDOT and FHWA; represent the City on regional transportation planning committees; prepare grants for TEA-21 Enhancement grants; review I-81 widening project.
- Information Services - Provide updated maps depicting parcels, streets, zoning districts, floodplains, elementary school zones, capital projects, land use, etc. Maintain street addressing system; serve as liaison to Census Bureau; prepare and distribute reports, ordinances, guides, maps, and drawings in hardcopy and electronic form.
- Historic Preservation - Assist Board of Architectural Review, process certificates of appropriateness for work in the Historic District.
- Zoning Administration - Interpretation, enforcement and administration of the City's Zoning Ordinance. Conducts field inspections to identify zoning violations and investigates zoning-related complaints.
- Permits - Reviews for zoning approval building, sign, temporary trailer and certificate of occupancy permits.
- Enforcement - Conducts field inspections to identify zoning violations and investigates zoning-related complaints.
Interim Zoning Administrator
Rouss City Hall
15 North Cameron Street
Winchester, VA 22601
Fax (540) 722-3618