Electronic Newsletter Subscriptions - Please be advised that your request to receive any of Winchester’s E-Newsletters places your email into a database maintained by the City of Winchester for that purpose. This database, including the email you provide, is considered a public record and is subject to disclosure to third parties upon request.
The City Manager or his/her designee shall be the official staff spokesperson for the City and shall act as the Public Information Officer (PIO) unless otherwise designated. In accordance with Police Department policies and procedures, the Chief of Police or his/her designee shall handle inquiries concerning criminal investigations.
All information and interview requests from media representatives should be directed to the City’s Communications Department.
Title VI & ADA Compliance
The City of Winchester, Virginia (“the City”) complies with all Federal civil rights laws and is committed to providing its programs and services without discrimination in accordance with:
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or national origin (including language)
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA and ADAAA), which prohibits discrimination based on disability
- Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, which prohibits discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities
- Age Discrimination Act of 1975, which prohibits discrimination based on age
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulation 6 C.F.R. Part 19, which prohibits discrimination based on religion in social service programs
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. Section 2000d) prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or national origin in programs and activities receiving Federal financial assistance. Specifically, Title VI provides that "no person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance" (refer to 49 CFR Part 21).
As a recipient and/or sub-recipient of federal funds, the City has developed policies, programs, and practices that ensure that such funds are used in a manner that is nondiscriminatory, as required under Title VI.
The City agrees to comply (and requires any sub-recipients, sub-grantees, contractors, successors, transferees, and/or assignees to comply) with all applicable provisions governing the City. The City gives this assurance in consideration of and for obtaining any Federal grants, loans, contracts, agreements, property, and/or discounts, or other Federal aid and Federal financial assistance extended after the date hereof to the recipients.
The City does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its services, programs, or activities.
- Employment: The City does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its hiring or employment practices and complies with the ADA Title I employment regulations.
- Reasonable Accommodations: The City will provide reasonable accommodation(s) to all qualified employees and members of the public with known disabilities where their disability affects the performance of essential job functions or accessing public facilities, programs, and services, except where doing so would be unduly disruptive or would result in undue hardship.
- Modifications to Policies and Procedures: The City will make reasonable modifications to policies and procedures to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy programs, services, and activities.
- Requests: To request an accommodation or service for effective communication or a modification of policies or procedures, contact the City’s ADA Coordinator as soon as possible, preferably 14 days before the activity or event.
Title VI & ADA Coordinator
It is the policy of the City that persons filing a discrimination complaint or engaging in other protected activity have the right to do so without interference, intimidation, coercion, or fear of reprisal.
Chief of Staff
15 N. Cameron Street
Winchester, VA 22601