Lost & Found
WinTran does not take responsibility for items lost or stolen on transit buses, at bus shelters or left on benches at bus stops.
WinTran will dispose of lost and found items as follows:
- Student ID’s will be returned to the respective schools after 5 business days.
- Debit/ATM and credit cards are destroyed after 5 business days.
- Clothing, coats, hats, gloves and shoes will be donated to a charity of WinTran’s choosing after 30 days.
- Cell phones and other electronic media will be recycled or disposed of after 30 days.
- Unidentifiable items will be retained for 30 days.
- Food items will be disposed of within 24 hours.
Inquiries about lost items can be made to the WinTran Office at (540) 667-2230, Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm.
Your safety is one of our top priorities. To ensure an enjoyable ride for both you and the people around you, please follow these rules:
- The active use of tobacco products (including e-cigarettes) is prohibited in all transit buses and transit shelters.
- The consumption of food and/or beverage is prohibited. Transportation of food and/or beverage is permitted if the contents are properly sealed and unopened. Personal consumption liquids must be contained in a screw top container with the top in place. To-go cups with plastic snap tops and open aluminum cans are not allowed.
- Excessive noise, disruptive behavior, and/or profanity is prohibited. Passengers may be asked to leave the bus without a refund if their actions disturb or threaten the safety of the operator or other passengers. Shirts and shoes are required at all times.
- Carry-on items (groceries, laundry, packages, etc.) are limited to what passengers can reasonably carry on their laps when seated. Passengers are also limited only to items that can be boarded in a single trip onto the vehicle without assistance from another person. Multiple trips to load bags, carts, strollers, or cargo are not allowed. Loads that require multiple people to maneuver bags, carts, strollers, or cargo on/off the vehicle are not allowed.
- Aisleways are to remain clear during the duration of your trip.
- Headphones are to be used with all audio devices.
- Consecutive loop riding is prohibited.
Per ADA guidelines, service animals are allowed for persons with disabilities. Service animals are to be kept on a leash or in an approved pet container.
All WinTran buses are accessible to persons with disabilities. To ensure safe travels, all mobility devices are secured through the use of a four point tie down system.
Passengers with strollers must remove the child and collapse the stroller once on board the bus. Strollers should be properly folded and stored as to not impede the free movement of passengers or the driver in the aisle and must not present a potential hazard to or danger to riders. It is recommended that parents or guardians of children removed from strollers stay seated with the child in their laps as it may not be safe to be standing.
Strollers that are unable to be folded may be stored in the wheelchair securement area; however, bus drivers shall request that the strollers be removed from the wheelchair securement area in order to make room for a wheelchair or mobility device. Drivers may also request that strollers be removed from the priority seating area to make room for a senior/disabled individual. Drivers are not responsible for securing strollers.
Carts containing packages, groceries, etc., are allowed on the bus. Passengers must maintain control of their cart at all times and must store the cart as to not impede the free movement of passengers or the driver in the aisle and must not present a potential hazard to or danger to riders. Riders with carts may sit in the priority seating or wheelchair securement area; however, bus drivers shall request that the carts be removed from the wheelchair securement area in order to make room for a wheelchair or mobility device. Drivers may also request that carts be removed from the priority seating area to make room for a senior/disabled individual. Drivers are not responsible for securing carts.
When traveling on a WinTran bus, your starting and ending locations may not be served by the same route. To reach your final destination, you may need to connect to another bus. Passengers are allowed to ask drivers to hold a connecting bus. The connecting bus may only be held for 5 minutes past its scheduled departure time.
To request a connection, alert your driver as soon as you board. Please keep in mind that connections are not guaranteed.