The Winchester Public Works Division provides roll-off trash carts and curbside collection of trash and recycling on a weekly basis.
If a City-observed holiday falls on a trash day (Thursday/Friday), that collection will be rescheduled to the Wednesday of that same week. Yard Waste collection is canceled during holiday weeks (see the Holiday Collection Schedule).
Sign up for the City's notification system and opt-in to receive trash and recycling collection change alerts via text, phone or email.
Your trash collection day will NOT change. As you currently do, set your container out for collection either the night before or by 6:00 am the day of your trash collection.
Please place all trash in bags. There is no limit to the number of bags that can be placed in the cart, but the lid MUST close or the trash will not be collected.
The following items are not allowed and may prevent collection:
- Large items (take to landfill, check the unwanted items list, or submit our Large-Item Collection Request Form)
- Hazardous wastes such as paint, electronics such as televisions, computers, computer monitors, printers, etc. (click here for e-cycling info)
- Commercial construction debris
- Yard waste (collected separately on Wednesdays during Yard Waste Collection Season)
Roll-Off Cart Program
- Reduce Employee Injuries - The new carts have wheels that will allow our personnel to roll the container to the truck where a semi-automated attachment will lift and dump the container into the truck. This will greatly assist in lowering the risk of injury to our employees that often results from the strain of lifting a consistently large volume of heavy trash.
- Simplification - The provided cart will make it more convenient and easier for residents to know the maximum amount of trash that can be set out for collection. In simple terms, the amount of trash set out must fit inside the container with the lid closed.
Folleto del carrito de basura en español
- Size - There are three different cart sizes with different associated fees. Want a different size? Call 540-667-2106 or 540-667-1815, ext. 1140 or email email@example.com with your request.
- Quantity - Customers can order a second cart (must be 35 or 65 gallons). Fees will be applied accordingly (see below for the fees).
- Personalized - The carts will have a label affixed with your address. Please do not remove the label or trade carts with other residences.
|Cart Size||Holds (Approximately)|
|35 gallons||Three 13-gallon trash bags|
|65 gallons||Six 13-gallon trash bags|
|95 gallons||Twelve 13-gallon trash bags|
Your new monthly solid waste fee (included with your utility bill) will be determined by the size cart you choose and will increase slightly over a three-year period. The monthly fee covers the cost of your cart, including repairs, and weekly curbside trash, recycling and yard waste collection. A fee is charged for additional carts.
Click here if the automated truck services your property.
- With Driveway - If you have a driveway, please place the cart near the end of your driveway where it can be easily rolled to the truck (see photo examples).
- No Driveway - If you do not have a driveway and the container must be placed on the sidewalk, please place it as close to the road as possible so pedestrians can still travel down the sidewalk (see photo examples).
Example #1 - Sidewalk with No Grass Median
Instructions: Place the roll-off cart with the front facing the street and wheels tight against the curb, if possible. In some cases, the cart may need to be placed on the sidewalk.
Example #2 - Sidewalk with Grass Median
Instructions: Place the roll-off cart with the front facing the street in the grass and close to the edge of the curb and at least four feet from trees or other obstructions.
Example #3 - Driveway with No Sidewalk
Instructions: Place the roll-off cart with the front facing the street in the grass at the edge of the driveway on the opposite side of the mailbox or other obstructions.
Automated Truck Cart Instructions
In order to make trash pickup a smooth operation, be sure to:
Place all trash in bags (lose trash creates litter)
Make sure the trash cart handle is facing your house
No bag limits, but the lid must close
No items outside of cart
Place the cart at the end of your driveway
No driveway? Place cart on the sidewalk as close to the street as possible so pedestrians can still get by
Don't place cart near mailboxes and trees or under electric wires
Receive Alerts About Refuse & Recycling Collection Changes
Never miss a collection due to holiday schedule changes or weather by signing up for the City's notification system. Create a profile and opt-in (under "subscriptions") to receive refuse and recycling collection change alerts via text, phone, email and more.
- Landfill, e-cycling, household hazardous waste and recycling information (Frederick County, VA)
- Refuse ideas (Recycling Revolution)
- Source reduction and reuse (EPA)
Refuse & Recycling Manager
City Yards, 301 E. Cork Street
Winchester, VA 22601
(540) 667-1815, ext. 1452
Fax (540) 662-5227
Refuse & Recycling Crew Supervisor
City Yards, 301 E. Cork Street
(540) 667-1815, ext. 1469