Four areas in the city representing different types of street configurations have been selected to participate in a pilot program where the City of Winchester will provide a solid waste container for residents to use for trash collection. There is no cost to participate. After the program has been implemented, we welcome candid feedback from those who participate. If this pilot program is successful, we may provide these containers to every residence city-wide.
New Cart Benefits
- Reduce Employee Injuries - The new carts have wheels that will allow our personnel to roll the container to the truck where a semi-automated attachment will lift and dump the container into the truck. This will greatly assist in lowering the risk of injury to our employees that often results from the strain of lifting a consistently large volume of heavy trash.
- Simplification - The provided cart will make it more convenient and easier for residents to know the maximum amount of trash that can be set out for collection. In simple terms, the amount of trash set out must fit inside the container with the lid closed.
The pilot program carts and lifts for the trucks were purchased using CARES Act funding.
Printable Brochure (PDF)
Rouss Review Podcast Episode
Date: November 2020
The first round of carts were delivered to residents in the pilot area in December 2020. In January 2021, the program will be extended to include an additional 171 properties. The second round of carts will be delivered in January 2021. You do not need to be home when the container is delivered to your residence.
- Size - The container will be a 95-gallon container. If you feel that this sized container is too large for you to handle or maneuver, please let us know and we will work with you to provide a smaller container.
- Personalized - The carts will have a label affixed with your address. Please do not remove the label or trade carts with other residences.
Your trash collection day will NOT change. As you currently do, set your container out for collection no sooner than 6:00 pm the evening before or no later than 7:30 am the day of your trash collection.
Please place all trash in bags. There is no limit to the number of bags that can be placed in the cart, but the lid MUST close or the trash will not be collected.
Do not place hazardous wastes such as paint, electronics such as televisions or computers, or yard waste in the container with your trash.
- With Driveway - If you have a driveway, please place the cart near the end of your driveway where it can be easily rolled to the truck (see photo examples).
- No Driveway - If you do not have a driveway and the container must be placed on the sidewalk, please place it as close to the road as possible so pedestrians can still travel down the sidewalk (see photo examples).
Example #1 - Sidewalk with No Grass Median
Instructions: Place the roll-off cart with the front facing the street and wheels tight against the curb, if possible. In some cases, the cart may need to be placed on the sidewalk.
Example #2 - Sidewalk with Grass Median
Instructions: Place the roll-off cart with the front facing the street in the grass and close to the edge of the curb and at least four feet from trees or other obstructions.
Example #3 - Driveway with No Sidewalk
Instructions: Place the roll-off cart with the front facing the street in the grass at the edge of the driveway on the opposite side of the mailbox or other obstructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. 95 gallons is too large for my household. How can I get a smaller cart for the pilot?
A. Please contact Michael Neese at (540) 667-1815, ext. 1452 or email@example.com to make the request. Then, arrangements will be made to switch the carts for your address.
Q. My house is not located within the four pilot areas. Can I opt-in to participate?
A. No. Only those located within the pilot areas can participate at this time.
Receive Alerts About Refuse & Recycling Collection Changes
Never miss a collection due to holiday schedule changes or weather by signing up for the City's notification system. Create a profile and opt-in (under "subscriptions") to receive refuse and recycling collection change alerts via text, phone, email and more.
If you should have questions or concerns throughout the pilot program, please contact the program manager anytime:
Refuse & Recycling Manager
(540) 667-1815, ext. 1452