Beginning October 1, 2021, the City will resume shutting off water service for past due accounts that have not established a repayment plan or are not adhering to the terms of their repayment plan.
Need help getting caught up? There are two assistance programs available to help prevent shut off (see below for details):
- Direct financial assistance - For customers who were negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Payment plans - For all customers
OPTION #1: Financial Assistance Program
We understand that some customers are still struggling with the financial impacts caused by the COVID-19 Pandemic, and we want to help. If you have been impacted by COVID-19 and meet eligibility requirements, you may be able to receive funds from the American Rescue Plan Act to help pay your utility bill. To apply for this assistance, please submit the online form (preferred) or download the PDF form and return it to us at Utilities Customer Service, Rouss City Hall (main floor), 15 N. Cameron Street, Winchester, VA 22601.
OPTION #2: Payment Plans
The City is offering payment plans to customers who are past due on their utility bills (available to all customers). Choose a payment plan for up to 24 months. The charges will appear on your regular bi-monthly utility bill if you are a residential customer and monthly for commercial customers and will be due by the due date on the bill.
How the Payment Plan Works
- Submit the online application (preferred) or download the PDF form and mail/drop off/email it to Utilities Billing Customer Service (contact information below).
- Choose a bi-monthly plan up to 24 months:
- Residential Customers (bi-monthly billing cycle). Examples: A 24-month plan equals 12 payments. A 12-month plan equals 6 payments. A 6-month plan equals 3 payments.
- Commercial Customers (monthly billing cycle). Examples: A 24-month plan equals 24 payments. A 12-month plan equals 12 payments. A 6-month plan equals 6 payments.
- The payment plan charges will appear on your regular bill as a separate charge.
- The payment plan charge AND the current bill charge must be paid in full each billing cycle to avoid cut-off. No extensions will be approved.
Submit application online (preferred) by clicking the below button. Once City staff receives and reviews your application, you will receive a letter in the mail with your specific payment plan information.
Other Assistance Programs
Other agencies are available that may be able to assist in helping with utility payments are listed below, and we encourage you to reach out to them for help, in addition to any relief provided by this Program:
- United Way of the Northern Shenandoah Valley: (540) 536-1610
- Winchester Department of Social Services: (540) 662-3807
- Salvation Army: (540) 662-4777
- C-CAP (Congregational Community Action Project): (540) 662-4318
Utilities Billing Customer Service
Emily Lamb, Utility Billing Manager
Rouss City Hall (Customer Service office on main floor)
15 N. Cameron Street
Winchester, VA 22601
(540) 667-1815, option 5
Complaints & Disputes (Payment Plans)
Public Services Director