General and Special Elections
Some registered voters may be eligible to vote by absentee ballot. Eligible citizens may vote in person at the Registrar's office prior to election day, or apply to have an absentee ballot mailed to them. To determine if you are eligible, see the list below.
How do I apply for a ballot by mail?
You must complete an Absentee Ballot Application and mail it to the General Registrar at 107-A N. East Lane., Winchester, Va. 22601 or fax it to us at (540) 545-7925.
Be sure to complete all information on the form, including the reason you need to vote absentee, the address where you want the ballot mailed, your full name, current residence address, and the last four digits of your social security number. The application MUST be signed.
If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, click on the link below to download and print an absentee ballot application form.
If you would like to email your request for an Absentee Ballot Application you may request an application to be mailed to you.
You may also call (540) 545-7910, to have an application mailed to you.
Am I eligible to vote absentee?
You may vote absentee if you are unable to go to the polls on Election Day because you ...
- are a student or the spouse of a student attending school outside the City of Winchester
- will be away from the City of Winchester on business
- will be working and commuting to and from home for 11 or more hours between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- will be away from the City of Winchester on personal business or vacation
- are a first responder (law enforcement, firefighter, emergency technician, search and rescue)
- are unable to go to the polls because of illness or disability
- are unable to go to the poles because of your pregnancy
- are the primary caretaker of a confined family member
- have a religious obligation
- are confined awaiting trial
- are confined having been convicted of a misdemeanor
- are an election official
- are on active duty in the military
- are the spouse or dependent residing with a member of the military
- are an overseas citizen whose most recent United States residence was in the City of Winchester
- are an authorized representative of candidate or party serving inside the polling place
- request a ballot for presidential and vice-presidential electors only (New state of residence and date moved from Virginia required. Only eligible if moved less than 30 days before the presidential election).
When will I get my ballot?
Absentee ballots will be available (for mailing or in-person) approximately 45 days prior to each election. Ballots will be mailed within 3 business days after receipt of the completed application. Please apply early enough to allow time to receive your ballot and return it by Election Day. Call or email us if your ballot does not arrive within a reasonable time.
How is my vote counted?
All absentee ballots, both in-person or by mail, are tabulated on Election Day in the Central Absentee Precinct (CAP). The City of Winchester uses paper ballots for by mail absentee voting. Instructions will be included with your ballot. They must be followed carefully in order for your ballot to be counted on Election Day.