Working at the Polls

Get involved!

The strength of a democracy depends upon the level of involvement of its citizens. The City of Winchester urgently needs citizens to serve as election officers in its 6 precincts, which includes the Central Absentee Precinct, for each Election. It is a rewarding way to participate in your government and help us to ensure a fair and well-organized voting process.

Am I qualified?

  • You must be a registered voter in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
  • You cannot hold elected office or be the employee of an elected official.
  • You must enjoy meeting people and serving the public.
  • You must be able to take direction, pay attention to detail and not be easily distracted.
  • You must be able to attend training sessions and complete some on-line training prior to each election.
  • You must be available to work on Election Day.

What will I be doing?

  • If you are working the full day, you will arrive at the polling place at 5:00 a.m. on Election Day and remain until the polls close and all tallies are completed. There are also a few half-day and hourly shifts available.
  • set up voting equipment and prepare the polling place for voting.
  • process voters by checking names on list of registered voters for your precinct.
  • tally results, secure voting machines, pack up all supplies, and close the polling place. Make certain the polling place is left exactly as you found it.

Central Absentee Precinct (CAP) Officers

  • check absentee voters' names
  • process absentee ballots.
  • tally results and close polling place.

Stand-by (Alternate) Officers

May be called prior to Election Day to fill in for officers who cannot serve.

What will I be paid?

Officers of Election working a full day are paid $150. Pay for Officers of Election not working a full day will be prorated. All Officers are paid $25 for each training session attended.

Where will I be working?

Whenever possible, Election Officers are assigned to their "home" precinct. However, if there are no vacancies at your polling place, you may be assigned to another precinct or asked to work in the Central Absentee Precinct (CAP). Unassigned officers are asked to serve as "stand-bys" to fill in for scheduled officers who cannot serve.

Please consider serving the community in this important capacity.

Contact the Office of Elections at or call 540-545-7910.