The City of Winchester is planning to complete a sidewalk construction project on Wentworth Drive between Valley Avenue and Cedarmeade Avenue beginning in 2019. The improvements being considered include installing new sidewalks along the entire street as none exist now and replacing some underground utility infrastructure (water, sewer and stormwater).
The City designated this location as a high priority area in need of sidewalks following discussions with Winchester Public Schools several years ago. This area needs sidewalks to provide children a safe way to walk to and from Frederick Douglas Elementary School. For this reason, the City was awarded $450,000 in federal funds for the construction of new sidewalks in this area as a part of the “Safe Routes to School” program.
City Council selected the following option:
- Four-foot wide sidewalk on both sides of the street
- Raised crosswalks on Wentworth at the intersections of Beechcroft and Applecroft.
- All-way stop remains at the intersection of Russelcroft
- Replacement of the existing water and sewer mains which are old and in poor condition
- Curb and gutter on both sides of the street
- Underground storm water drainage improvements
- Project will be advertised for construction bids - summer/fall 2019
- Construction expected to begin - TBD
December 7, 2017 Options Update
Original 5 Options
Click the images to view the below images and associated maps for each option.
Option 1 - Parking on one side, 4 ft. buffer between curb and 5' sidewalk with trees
Option 2 - Parking on both sides of the street, 6' sidewalks
Option 3 - Parking on one side, no buffer between curb and 6' sidewalks
Option 4 - No Parking, 6' sidewalks
Option 5 - Parking on one side, 6' sidewalk on the other side (Letter to residents explaining additional option)
Public Input Open House
The City of Winchester held a Public Input Open House on June 28, 2017 to provide interested residents, property owners and businesses the opportunity to review the improvements being proposed, ask questions and provide feedback.