Stay Safe in Summer Heat
Remember SHADE when it's hot outside and never leave young children and pets unattended in vehicles under any circumstances.
- Shelter indoors - Stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.
- Hydrate - Drink plenty of fluids and often.
- Adjust activity levels - When possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening.
- Dress in loose fitting, cool clothing
- Evaluate for signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke - To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency! Call 911.
Get Emergency Alerts
Receive notifications about emergencies and non-emergency (refuse/recycling schedule changes, snow plan activations, City facility closures, scheduled road closures, etc.) by signing up for our notification system.
Create an account and receive time-sensitive messages however you specify, such as your home, mobile or business phones, email address, text messages and more. Register a 22601 address (work, home, school, church, etc.).
Report Power Outages Immediately
If you experience a power outage, please call Shenandoah Valley Electric Cooperative. SEVC urges its customers to call 1-800-234-7832 anytime there is a power outage and to not assume that others have reported the outage. By calling any time you experience an outage, you help crews respond more efficiently and restore your service more quickly.
Emergency Operations Plan
The City of Winchesters Emergency Operations Plan is an all-discipline, all-hazards plan that establishes a single, comprehensive framework for managing incidents in the city. It is compatible with the National Response Framework and provides the structure for coordinating within our local and with the state government in delivery of disaster assistance. The plan improves the City of Winchester’s capability to respond to and recover from threatened or actual natural, technological or man-made disasters.
Scott E. Kensinger
Emergency Management Coordinator
Timbrook Public Safety Center
231 E. Piccadilly Street
Winchester, VA 22601
Fax (540) 542-1314