The Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the Winchester City Code require permits for all new construction, additions, alterations/remodeling, demolition, change of uses, and work not specifically exempted by the Code. Section 108.1 states, in part, “Application for a permit shall be made to the building official and a permit shall be obtained prior to the commencement of any of the following activities.”
Normal repairs and maintenance work are not required to have a permit such as: painting, dry wall repair, and minor roof repair (< 100 sq. ft. of sheathing), replacing cabinets or fixtures.
The Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the Winchester City Code require permits for all new construction, additions, alterations/remodeling, demolition, change of uses, and work not specifically exempted by the Code.
- Permit applications are accepted via:
- In-person - Inspections office, Rouss City Hall
- By mail - Rouss City Hall, Building Inspections Department, 15 North Cameron Street, Third Floor, Winchester, VA 22601
- Fax (540) 722-3618
- No fees for building permits are due upon submittal
- No expedited plan review is available
Some activities do not require a permit:
Normal repairs and maintenance work are not required to have a permit, such as: painting, dry wall repair, and minor roof repair, replacing cabinets or fixtures. Click the button below for a complete list of activities that do not require a permit.
Permits may be issued to the following persons:
- Property owners or their legal agent
- Contractors with a valid Virginia State Contractors License and valid City of Winchester Business License
Permitting and Inspections for electrical work located inside the City of Winchester are conducted by the Middle Department Inspection Agency. (MDIA).
MDIA is a private company contracted to the City of Winchester to issue electrical permits and provide electrical inspections. MDIA reports all inspection results to the Building Official. Code disputes and appeals are handled by the Building Official.
Electrical inspections are currently conducted under the 2014 National Electrical Code (NFPA 70).
Middle Department Inspection Agency
3076 Shawnee Drive
P.O. Box 1626
Winchester, VA 22601
Phone Number: 540-667-8484
Policies and Information:
- Architect & Engineer (A & E) Charts - A quick reference guide to determine if an architect or engineer (A/E) seal is required on drawings for the proposed construction (54.1-402 of the Code of Virginia).
- Asbestos Disturbance and Removal:
- Code Modification
- Electrical Permits
- New Construction:
- Remodeling - Residential
- Remodeling - Non-Residential
- Re-roofing & Re-siding
- Soils Policies
- Swimming Pools
- Third Party Inspections
- Underground & Aboveground Storage Tanks - Installation and Removal
Basic Design Requirements
Wind Speed: 115 MPH
Ground Snow: 35 psf
Live Roof: 30 psf
Frost: 24 inches
Seismic Zone: Chapter 16